WELCOME to Auntie Shahz HomeBake

"Having a celebration - anniversary, birthday, lunch, hightea, dinner, festive seasons - or just craving for yummy cakes & cookies? Allow me to take you through a tour to decide.

12 May 2012

CARROT CAKE

I was introduced to Carrot Cake in 2003 when I attended a baking demo after buying an oven. The recipe was buttercake base with grated carrot, juice, spice.. Since to me it was nothing extraordinary, I began surfing the net for recipe. The only difference in the recipes that I surfed was that vegetable oil replaces the butter and there was no creaming method. Hmm...nothing really sensational, so I didn't make an effort to bake.

3 years on...Carrot Cake became a rave of the town. I bought a piece to try from one of the bakeries at the mall...hmm...no oomph...couldn't understand why people went gaga over it.

One day I was surfing for recipes of various types of frosting - sugar icing, buttercream, whipped cream, cream cheese frosting... Aha! I love cheese. So, I clicked the link and voila...the cream cheese frosting was recommended for the topping of Carrot Cake - a recipe and comment came with it : "one of the best carrot cakes ever...and the difference is that the carrot is cooked". Hmm...interesting, I thought, because the cooked carrot will give a natural sweetness and "lemak" flavour. But, of course, like most internet recipes the portion of the ingredients didn't seem quite correct. Alas...I'm an innovator - so, I innovated.

The first carrot cake I baked tasted divine with the cream cheese frosting. The only "disaster" was that I was over zealous with the lemon juice...the frosting became a sauce!! No picture, of course, one doesn't show a "disaster"...the sentiment then was like...arghh... But, still yummy nonetheless...a little to the sweet side, though...haha... I have since perfected the frosting.

This is my Carrot Cake:






< CarrotCake in the bare...

< with Lemon CreamCheese frosting

< the Supermoist CarrotCake









Want to know what stuff goes into my Carrot Cake? Lots of nutritional stuff.

Carrot : Betacarotene (which gives the bright orange colour) metabolise to Vit A. Rich in dietary fibre, anti-oxidants and minerals. Urban legend say that eating large amounts of carrot will allow one to see in the dark. Developed from stories of British gunners in World War II who are able to shoot down German planes in the darkness of night...

Walnut : Excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acid, and has been shown as helpful in lowering bad cholestrol. Anti-oxidant.

Olive/Canola Oil : Fruity and has anti-oxidants, Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.

Pineapple : Juicy, tangy sweet taste. A good source of manganese, Vit C and Vit B1

Coconut (shredded) : Meat contains less sugar and more protein than popular fruits such as bananas, apples and oranges; and it is relatively high in minerals such as iron, phosphorus and zinc. Plenty of nutritional benefits isn't it? Wonder why we usually associate the coconut with bad cholestrol...

Raisins : Tart and tangy flavour. Natural sugar, high in anti-oxidant, Vit C, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium.

Wah...so much details already...getting restless or not? Now you know what I mean by saying " Carrot Cake is a health-uva cake!"

So, in March 2008. I baked a Carrot Cake for my nephew's birthday. He was so thrilled and appreciative. Since I had grapes...used them as decoration for the cake. Not bad, don't you think, for a first-time "froster"? =D






My Carrot Cake is now available for a Bake. Click Special Cake for details.





No comments:

Post a Comment